Senghenydd Community Centre was originally built as the Park Hotel and Assembley Rooms. Outside surrounding land was previously a dairy, catering for our daily milk delivered to our doorstep, also a slaughter house.
The main building was originally a hotel but the temperance movement was a strong influence in the area and they were refused a licence for alcohol, so the life span in usage as a hotel was limited. The 1901 census also showed it to be used as a police station until a purpose one was built a little further along, also it was the miner’s HQ during the long strikes! In later years it became an employment exchange also housing a library for public use. The top floor was a snooker hall for many years, now a reception room for family parties with portable dividing wall to enable two smaller self-contained bookings.
The middle floor of the Centre recently has the addition of The Aber Valley Heritage Museum and The Tea Room, both open 6 days a week.
The main part of the building was rented by groups for various weekly/monthly activities, including Senior Citizens, Bingo and Citizens Advice Bureau. The downstairs hall was- and still is- used for sporting practises, children’s parties, cinema and stage productions.
The Centre is run today by a committee, as it was so many years ago, with an annual general meeting open to the public. It has recently undergone a massive modernisation, including the addition of a lift to all floors, kitchen facilities on each level, car park, and a wish that its usage will continue through many more generations.